What to Expect from the Program
Willow Creek Ranch operates under the standards and regulations of PATH Intl.
Our PATH Intl center membership reaffirms the success of staff and volunteers to
provide a safe and effective environment at all times.
Our therapeutic riding lessons are offered by PATH Intl registered
instructors, who will lead the lesson through riding exercises specifically
designed to address and improve the rider’s needs. Lessons are 45 minutes
and have 4-5 riders participating. They focus on therapeutic goals and objectives
derived from the evaluation that is done prior to their first lesson.
commonly treated, but not limited to:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHA)
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Downs Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Sensory Integration Issues
- Traumatic Brain Injury
Willow Creek Ranch’s staff is highly skilled in developing and delivering
therapeutic riding programs to address physical and cognitive challenges.
Since our start in 2007, more than 20 different diagnoses have been treated.
Riders must be at least three years of age to participate in the
therapeutic riding program. There is no maximum age, as long as the rider
has no physical or medical contraindications.
In order to ensure safety and well-being, riders must have proper release
forms signed by a physician and must be evaluated by one of our volunteer
licensed occupational or physical therapists, prior to riding. WCR's team will then design individual plans tailored to the rider’s ability and
Frequent evaluations and weekly notes of each rider’s progress are made
by our staff.
We assign participants to the appropriate horse and riding equipment based on
the results of the preliminary evaluation conducted by our volunteer
Extensive fundraising allows Willow Creek Ranch to charge nominal fees for therapeutic riding lessons. Fees may be paid in installments: half may be paid during the first week of lessons and the remainder due by week four. Payment in full is requested by the middle of each session.
Consideration for Willow Creek Ranch volunteers, staff and horses is appreciated. Riders are asked to call 24 hours in advance to Jennifer at 414-791-2509 or as soon as possible if you know you will miss a lesson. Every effort will be made to schedule a make-up session based on availability; however it is not a guarantee. If you are a no call, no show for two scheduled lessons, you have voluntarily given up your riding spot for the remainder of the session.
Refunds or credits of lesson fees are available only under the following circumstances:
- If a participant must withdraw for medical reasons, a physician’s statement is required.
- If a cancellation is initiated by Willow Creek Ranch.
by Willow Creek Ranch
- Temperature extremes (summer & winter)
- High winds, thunderstorms, tornado warnings, or storms
- Snow and ice conditions
Riders are asked to call Jennifer if weather is uncertain. If classes are cancelled every effort will be made to reschedule for a make-up session. A credit of $25 will be applied to rider’s account when Willow Creek Ranch cancels a lesson. Credits must be used by end of calendar year.
- A safety helmet (ATSM-SEI approved) must be worn and is provided.
- Long pants such as blue jeans, stirrup pants or riding pants.
- Protective sun screen, sun glasses and insect repellant as needed.
- Shoes with sturdy heels (oxfords, riding boots) or non-slip soles are recommended. No sandals or open-toed shoes.
- Riders arriving more than 10 minutes late for lessons will not be able to join the class. Fees will not be refunded.
- Refunds will be given if a rider withdraws from the entire session due to medical necessity with written notification from rider’s medical provider. No refunds will be offered for vacations, temporary illness, or unanticipated circumstances.
- No smoking and no dogs allowed on Willow Creek Ranch property.
- Riders with inappropriate clothing (including crocs, sandals, open-toed or open-heeled shoes, shorts or skirts) will not be able to participate. Fees will not be refunded.